We are always delighted when the opportunity to work with other businesses comes up. When lingerie boutique Alicia’s of Finedon wanted to show their new season’s swimwear collection, we jumped at the chance to work together and feature the shoot in Northampton’s favourite glossy, R Magazine. You can read the feature and see more incredible images if you click here.
Charlotte was our beautiful model for the day. She arrived at the studio on a very cold and miserable March morning, make-up free and hair un-styled. Natalie our professional hair and make-up stylist worked her magic to make Charlotte look sun-kissed and gorgeous in the stunning swimwear available from the store.
The umbrella and beach ball props are key to 1950’s pin-up style photography and they add a sense of fun to the pictures, something that Alter Ego Portraits are passionate about when visitors come to the studio. The centre picture is a more commercial style image which was used as the hero shot of the feature in the magazine. The blue background brings out the colour of the swimsuit beautifully.
If you’d like to do a shoot like this, we’d love to do a swimwear shoot again, just get in touch!
If you’re going on holiday and would like to look your best in swimwear, here are some top tips from Martin and Alicia’s of Finedon:
Swimwear top tips from Alicia:
1) Alicia Lingerie sells swimwear in bra cup sizes so you can be confident that you’ll look and feel properly supported and comfortable.
2) Quality swimwear isn’t inexpensive as it contains lots of lycra. It will however give you many, many years of pleasure, look after it by rinsing well with cool water and if possible a little detergent at the end of each day to remove the chlorine from the pool.
3) If you don’t want strap marks showing, bandeau bikini tops are the best style to choose.
4) If you are worried about showing lumps and bumps, choose a patterned swimsuit as it’s much more flattering.
5) Some costumes have a block colour at the back and a patterned front. For a much slimmer silhouette, chose one with a pattern all the way around.
6) Neck lines will make a massive difference to your body shape, Catherine and Katie at Alicia can advise which style is best for your figure.
Once you’ve bought your sensational swimwear, here’s how to get the best pictures of you!
1) When you smile at the camera, push your chin slightly forward and down. It’s a trick used by models to make their face look slimmer. It works!
2) If the camera is close, look slightly above the lens rather than right down onto it. This makes your eyes look bigger.
3) If you are standing, turn 45 degrees to the camera and put your weight on one leg to create a slimming S shape.
4) If there are two of you in a photo do the same 45 degree trick, but facing each other, weight on the back leg.
5) Modern smart phone cameras are great and better than many compact cameras, but their built in flashes are very harsh. Try turning the flash off, even if it is dark. The picture might be grainy but it’ll be more natural.
6) Fun tip…. download an App called Touchnote onto your smart phone. This App turns your holiday snaps into beautiful postcards sent by post to your friends at home.